Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dreaming of You

Every day people talk about the sleep they got or didn’t get. “I couldn’t sleep at all last night.” “I tossed and turned.” “I had such bad dreams.” “I had this great dream about (insert person’s name).”

I remember having dreams about actors and they seemed so real. I’d meet Brad Pitt at a party and he’d find me fascinating. We’d end up going on a walk, holding hands, talking about our future together, maybe even kissing an electrifying kiss, and then I’d wake up and discover the dog licking my face. Talk about a rude awakening.

People who don’t get enough sleep get cranky, but so do the ones who get too much. Waking up before you’re supposed to is a problem because you have to decide if you’re going to go back to sleep or get up and start your day. In my experience, going back to sleep means I’m going to have really weird dreams. They’re always bad - being chased by cannibals and my legs turn to rubber. Or I’m trapped in an elevator and it starts free-falling. Those dreams seem so real that when I wake up, I look around to see if a cannibal is gnawing on my foot.

I’ve noticed when I sleep about six hours I don’t really seem to dream that much, either that or my dreams have become like real life and I’m forgetting them like everything else. Actually, I have always forgotten everything. I forget the list I wrote everything down on so I wouldn’t forget. I’ve always forgotten where I put my shoes, keys, purse, the book I’m reading, the electric bill that’s overdue, my cell phone. How many times have I had to call my cell phone to locate it?

As people get older the world blames memory loss on age, but how do you explain my kids running around, “Mo-om, where are my shoes?” The answer I always gave them was, “When I wear your shoes I always put them in the shoe closet.” They look there, as if I’d actually been wearing their shoes. Of course that’s the last place they’ would put their own shoes.. “Mo-om, they’re not in there - where else did you put them?”

Kids lose backpacks and homework, they leave their lunches at home, and forget their permission slips that are right beside their backpacks. But no one whispers, “Alzheimer’s” when they do it.

They also change the subject every second of the day, which is exactly what I have done here. Hey, STOP whispering, “ADD.”

Back to my dreams. I’ve had some really good ones and tried my best to stay asleep until the happy ending (wink wink). If I wake up, I can’t go back to sleep or even remember the dream. Very frustrating.

All this talk about dreaming makes me realize that I forgot to pay my bill to my web server – Dreamhost. After I get that done, I think I’ll take a little nap.

Hey Brad, I’ll be there in a few minutes. Wait for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment